22 May 2024

Sweet success at Rowntrees

Rowntrees RUFC 27
Hornsea RUFC 31

Hornsea secured their third consecutive away win on Saturday, something they had not previously done for 12 years, but they were made to work until the final whistle by a spirited Rowntrees side.

It was Rowntrees who started the match the better, with Hornsea finding it difficult in the early exchanges. Some missed tackles let their centre through to score under the posts; the try was converted, 7-0.

Hornsea hit back with a try of their own after 10 minutes from right wing Andy Finch. Following a move up the touchline, Finch skilfully touched down wide out, 7-5.

Rowntrees increased their lead with a well- struck penalty after 20 minutes when Hornsea were penalised at the breakdown, taking the score to 10-5.

Just after the half-hour mark, Hornsea took the lead for the first time in the match. David Ashbridge crashed over from close range after Adam McLatchie and Liam Tudor Bateman had made inroads in the home defence. James Hill converted, 10-12.

The first half ended with Rowntrees on the attack, with Hornsea just having enough to keep them out. The second half started as the first, with Rowntrees winning the early exchanges. They opened the scoring with a try to regain the lead following some loose defence by the Hollismen, 15-12.

Hornsea then seemed to pick up a gear. Liam Tudor Bateman was unlucky not to score, held up over the try line, but then Brandon Leggett did touch down after he powerfully broke through the Rowntrees defence to score. Tim Roberts converted well, 15-19.

Just after the hour mark, experienced lock forward Jim Richardson drove over from the back of a ruck close to the try line to give Hornsea some breathing space with regard to the scoreline, and they now led 15-24.

With 10 minutes remaining, Liam Tudor Bateman scored to put the game out of reach for Rowntrees, it was thought, after he supported well following a strong Matt Smallwood break to touch down under the posts. Roberts converted, 15-31.

Rowntrees hadn’t given up, and two late scores, one of which was converted, resulted in a very nervy last couple of minutes for Hornsea, who had to give their all to keep their opponents at bay and claim the win.

Speaking after the game, Hornsea captain Ed Webster said: “We were far from our best today; our error count was high, but we found a way to win and the lads worked hard in trying circumstances. That’s three wins now on the bounce on the road, which is very pleasing.”