20 May 2026

Southampton appeal dismissed as Hull City v Middlesbrough Wembley final confirmed

by Sam Hawcroft

Hull City will face Middlesbrough in the Championship play-off final on Saturday after Southampton’s appeal against their expulsion from the competition was dismissed.

The Tigers will play Boro at Wembley, with kick-off confirmed for 3.30pm.

The decision finally ends days of uncertainty for Hull City supporters, many of whom had already bought tickets, booked travel and arranged accommodation without knowing for certain who their side would face, or whether the tie would have to be rescheduled.

A League Arbitration Panel dismissed Southampton’s appeal on Wednesday night after the club admitted multiple breaches of EFL regulations relating to the unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training sessions.

The appeal decision means the original sanction remains in place, with Southampton expelled from the Sky Bet Championship play-offs and Middlesbrough reinstated.

Southampton’s four-point deduction, to be applied to the 2026-27 Championship table, also stands, along with a reprimand in respect of all charges.

The EFL said the decision of the League Arbitration Panel was final and could not be challenged.

In a statement released at about 10pm on Wednesday, May 20, the EFL said: “A League Arbitration Panel has tonight dismissed Southampton Football Club’s appeal against the Independent Disciplinary Commission’s sanction following the admittance of multiple breaches of EFL Regulations.

“The determination means that the original sanction of expulsion from the Sky Bet Championship Play-Offs remains in place, as does the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026-27 Championship table and the reprimand in respect of all charges.

“The Club submitted its appeal following yesterday’s decision of the Independent Disciplinary Commission in respect of breaches of EFL Regulations. As per EFL Regulations, the decision of the League Arbitration Panel is final and cannot be appealed.

“Following the conclusion of the proceedings, the Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final between Hull City and Middlesbrough is confirmed as taking place at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, May 23, kicking off at 3.30pm.

“The League Arbitration Panel’s written reasons will be published in due course along with the Independent Disciplinary Commission’s full decision.”

Southampton had originally been due to face Hull City at Wembley after beating Middlesbrough 2-1 after extra time at St Mary’s, following a 0-0 draw in the first leg at the Riverside.

But the tie was thrown into controversy after allegations that a Southampton staff member had filmed Middlesbrough’s training session before the first leg.

Southampton were later found to have admitted breaches relating to fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.

The EFL said the breaches involved regulations requiring clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.

An Independent Disciplinary Commission ruled on Tuesday that Southampton should be expelled from the play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated to face Hull City.

Southampton appealed against that sanction, but Wednesday night’s ruling means Hull City’s opponents are now confirmed as Middlesbrough.

The final had initially been listed with a 4.30pm kick-off, but the EFL confirmed earlier on Wednesday that a Hull City v Middlesbrough final would kick off at 3.30pm.

Hull City had said supporters who had successfully bought tickets would receive their digital match tickets once the club was permitted to send them.

The club said it remained in regular dialogue with all relevant stakeholders and would communicate further details, including ticket release and Tiger Travel information, once final confirmation of the fixture had been received.

Hull City added: “We would like to thank our supporters for their continued understanding and patience. We cannot wait to see a sea of black and amber under the arch this weekend.”

The decision brings clarity over Saturday’s fixture, but may not be the end of the legal fallout.

Football journalist Ben Jacobs has reported that Hull City are consulting lawyers over whether they could argue for automatic promotion to the Premier League after Southampton’s expulsion from the play-offs.

According to Jacobs, Hull City are unhappy at the prospect of facing Middlesbrough at Wembley after spending more than a week preparing to play Southampton.

He also reported that the Tigers’ players had a pre-planned day off on Wednesday and would return to training on Thursday with only two days to prepare for Middlesbrough.

Jacobs said Hull City were keeping legal avenues open, including the possibility of a challenge after the final.

The club has not publicly commented on those claims.

The Holderness and Hornsea Gazette
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.