20 June 2024

Derby delight for rampant Hollismen

Hessle RUFC 11
Hornsea RUFC 24

An outstanding all-round display by Hornsea saw them increase their winning run to seven matches in Yorkshire 4, and in doing so, they extended their unbeaten run against their oldest rivals to six matches.

Victory moved the Hollismen up a place to fourth position, with second and third-placed Thornensians and Aireborough now in their sights.

At a wet and wild Livingston Road, Hornsea RUFC and Hessle RUFC locked horns on Saturday, mainly thanks to some stellar work by the Hessle ground staff to ensure their pitch was playable.

The Hollismen kicked off, working up the hill in the first half, keeping it tight and making small but sure inroads into the Hessle half. Discipline was key, with Hornsea keeping possession and the ball in hand, not offering the opposition an opportunity to attack.

Hessle’s defence remained strong; however, ill discipline at the breakdown cost them. Tim Roberts stepped up and kicked over the penalty: 0-3.

Hessle returned with full force, but the Hollismen remained strong. Back row David Ashbridge, coming off the back of illness, led the charge in defence.

Hornsea managed to clear lines and, through strong carries from Finch and Hill in the midfield, made ground back into Hessle’s half. Again, ill discipline let Roberts in for a second penalty kick opportunity, which he duly took – 0-6.

Hessle immediately responded with a strong kickoff turnover and some bullish carries by the foreshore men. They scored down the blindside after a misread in the Hornsea defence, 5-6.

The first half ended better for Hornsea, and after some well-worked carries from Salvidge, Walker & Richardson, Jake Bowen snuck over from close range to score just before the half-time whistle: 5-11. This did come at a loss, however, with veteran

Jim Richardson being carried off, later confirmed as having snapped his Achilles tendon. We all wish Jim a speedy recovery.

The second 40 was all about who could keep their nerve and up their game. Defence was the name of the game early on, with both sides trading blows and going at it hammer and tongs. A couple of Hessle kicks took them in the right direction, and only some stern defence by the Hollismen kept out the Stags.

Hornsea were next on the attack, and with both backs and forwards interlinking, they created an opening down the blindside. Another veteran, Adie Wadforth, took it for his fourth try of the season, for 6-16.

The Hollismen pressed hard and further extended their lead by a fine drop goal from Roberts to take them to a 15-point lead – 6-19.

Hessle hit back with two well-struck penalties to narrow the gap to 11-19, but with time ticking away and Hessle on the attack, Ashbridge again stepped up with a superb tackle which dislodged the ball from the carrying Hessle player. His quick reactions followed as he sprung to his feet, gathered the ball, and with Kyle Naylor to his left, quickly spun it out to the speedster who raced the length of the field to score in the corner. This took the final score to 11-24 in Hornsea’s favour.

Hornsea captain Ed Webster was delighted with his whole squad. He said: “We knew we were in for a massive test coming to Hessle as they were in good form and have been able to increase playing numbers this season.

“The lads dug deep when needed to and we took our chances, which in turn got us the win. That’s seven on the bounce now, some achievement to take into the Christmas period.”