Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Attacking prowess shown

in a game of four quarters


Goole RUFC 52

Withernsea RUFC 24


THE OLD saying in sport refers to a game of two halves, but this high-scoring affair between Withernsea RUFC and Goole was a match where Withernsea played well in two quarters but conceded too many points in the other two, writes Bob Wardman.

Withernsea showed again that they have the attacking prowess to score points against any opposition, but need to work on defence, if they are to turn bonus points into winning points.

The first quarter was very competitive, with the home team launching attacks around the fringes of the breakdown, but Withernsea holding strong to keep the score at 0-0 after 20 minutes.

Goole finally broke through to score, and this try marked an awful 15-minute period, where Withernsea lost their way and conceded points quicker than Theresa May gives concession to the EU.

At 35-0 down, Withernsea then sprang into life and scored two quick tries from strong attacking play. The first try came from Andy Milbank, who typically took advantage of loose ball through an excellent piece of opportunism to barge over from fifteen metres out. This was closely followed by a breakaway try from Mike Penny from 60 metres out after the Withernsea backs had put pressure on their opponents.

The second half saw Withernsea on the front foot again with Penny making a break out wide. Lee Harris supported well and took the ball on, before passing to Jake Bowen who outflanked the defence to score in the corner. The game at 35-21 now became more of a competition, but Withernsea were unable to keep up their resurgence, and Goole took full advantage of a second poor quarter from the visitors.

Four tries from the home team saw Goole move out of sight of the visitors, but Withernsea were still looking threatening. Mike Penny was causing problems for Goole, but put in his bid for the toilet seat, when he kicked through twice to leave the ball five metres from the line with no defenders anywhere near him. Sadly, Mike dropped the ball as he went to pick it up, much to his frustration.

It was not long, however, before Withernsea earned the bonus point for their fourth try with a similar finish to try three. A good move with several phases saw Lee Harris on the charge with Jake Bowen again in space outside him. After plenty of encouragement to pass from his team mates, Lee delivered a good pass that set Jake up for his second try of the day in the corner, with Lee calmly claiming perfect timing for his draw and pass to make the final score 52-24 in favour of the home side.

Well done to the lads for causing Goole so many problems, especially after the gap of three weeks due to two matches being called off by the opposition. Several players played out of position, but they acquitted themselves well. Hopefully, Withernsea will continue to play good attacking rugby against Beverley at home in their next match, and be able to improve on two key areas, which are tackle count and protecting the ball in the tackle.

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region