Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Apollo end Roos’ unbeaten run


Roos FC 3

Apollo Rangers 6


ROOS FC returned to action on Saturday having not played since February 17 and they went out of the H.E Dean Cup at the first hurdle, losing 6-3 to Division Three side Apollo Rangers at Withernsea High School.

With Roos Playing Field still unfit, the game was moved to the 4G and despite going in at the break leading 2-1, Roos were outplayed for a lot of the second half and Apollo were worthy winners.

Having only suffered one defeat all season, a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Roos in the Junior League Cup back in September, the visitors secured the psychological advantage ahead of tonight’s Junior Country Cup semifinal between the two sides at Saltend (6pm kick-off) with this victory.

Unsurprisingly, Roos looked rusty at times, but they carved out the game’s first chance just two minutes in as Sam Huteson was able to round his marker before pulling the ball back to Ash McKinley, the striker seeing his shot turned away for a corner. Huteson’s delivery was good, but Danny Smith headed over the crossbar.

Apollo were determined to get on top but after a passage of dominant possession went unrewarded, Roos almost went in front on 10 minutes, Connor McKinley’s rasping drive superbly tipped over the bar by the Apollo ‘keeper.

Roos were applying the pressure and having forced back-to-back corners, Jack Todd should have done better with a free header from the second one, but it drifted over the bar.

On 16 minutes the visitors had their first real sight of goal and Ryan Hewitt was at full stretch down to his right to save a superb strike from all of 25 yards that came through a number of bodies.

Two minutes later Apollo should have taken the lead, but the normally reliable Josh Buchan was off target and it remained goalless. However, on 21 minutes they did go in front, Shaun Scotthorne applying the finish, despite looking at least a yard offside as he advanced before steering the ball past Hewitt.
The visitors began to dominate and had a great chance to double their lead with 33 minutes on the clock as Chris Blanchard was dispossessed, but Scotthorne was unable to take advantage as he cleared the crossbar.

Roos then hit their opponents with two goals in two minutes to take the lead. On 36 minutes, Hewitt found Jack Bristow who in turn released Bob Eldon-Smith and his perfectly-weighted cross was right on the money for Huteson to crash home at the back post.

A minute later Aaron McIver brought down Huteson 25 yards out and up stepped captain Smith to find the bottom left-hand corner with a brilliant strike and Roos led 2-1.

Apollo came back well, and parity should have been restored five minutes before the interval when a fortuitous bounce on the surface presented the visitors with a giltedged opportunity but the chip over the stranded Hewitt came back off the post.

The visitors finished the half the stronger and both Todd and Connor McKinley made defensive clearances as Apollo threatened to level things up. On the stroke of half-time Taylor Pentecost brought down an opponent right on the edge of the box but the Roos wall did its job, blocking the shot.

Five minutes into the second half Bristow delivered a teasing cross all along the six-yard box but there was nobody on hand to turn the ball home and a minute later the scores were level, courtesy of a stunning 25-yard volley from McIver that fairly flew into the net.

The game began to really open up and space began to appear all over the pitch with both sides suffering a little with fatigue, the home side having a claim for a penalty turned down as Mitch Proby went over in the box. On 63 minutes Roos almost regained the lead with what would have been a superb team goal. Todd found Lucas Sneddon and his pin-point pass through the defence saw Huteson try his luck with a first-time curler from 20 yards that drifted just wide of the far post.

With 25 minutes to go, Apollo regained the lead, Karl Fitzpatrick finding himself in space on the right wing and his cross found Scotthorne who chipped the ball over Hewitt’s head for his second of the game.

Two minutes later Scotthorne, who again lookedoffside, had a simple chance to make it 4-2 but Danny Uscroft-Mould produced not one, but two unbelievable blocks on the goal-line to deny him and Roos were still in it.

On 70 minutes Apollo doubled their lead as Buchan atoned for his first half miss with a sumptuous strike from the corner of the penalty area that found the top corner.

Roos were suddenly in unfamiliar territory and they needed something special and it almost arrived on 77 minutes as Huteson’s stunning strike from outside the penalty area crashed against the crossbar.

A minute later it was 3-4, Sneddon seeing a cross diverted into his own goal by an Apollo defender and two minutes later, Charlie Holden was cautioned for a rash challenge on Huteson as the hosts went in search of an equaliser.

As it happened, the game was effectively killed off on 83 minutes as Fitzpatrick cut in from the right and was able to pass the ball into the far bottom corner past Hewitt’s outstretched hand.

With three minutes remaining Liam Murrey was denied as the Apollo ‘keeper produced an outstanding save and three minutes into stoppage time, the visitors bagged their sixth goal, Ryan Scotthorne converting a penalty after a foul by Hewitt.

The defeat ended Roos’ excellent 14-match unbeaten run and the two sides will now go head-to-head again this evening, both looking to book a place in the Junior Country Cup Final.

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region