Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

BEST OF 2019

Roos tame Eastenders in South Holderness cup clash



ROOS FC moved into the semi-finals of the South Holderness Cup on a Thursday night back in May as they beat a very strong Easington United first team, who play two tiers above them, 3-1.

Before kick-off, both teams assembled in the centre circle to impeccably observe a minute’s silence in memory of Frank Windas, one of local football’s real characters who has forever been associated with Withernsea AFC and he will be missed by all the Holderness ‘football family’.

Despite going 1-0 behind in just the eighth minute, the underdogs dominated the game for long periods and thoroughly deserved their victory, setting up a clash with Hedon United Reserves in the last four.

Before the game the Roos manager told his team to go out and play with heart, pride and passion and if they played to their best, they were more than good enough to win, and on reading that the visitors were ‘Quietly confident of making progress’ this was an added incentive that certainly lifted the home side ahead of kick-off.

The pitch was looking resplendent, thanks to the continued efforts of Dudley Hulme. The Eastenders started quickly and were the best side in the opening 10 minutes. Just four minutes in, a long ball following a free-kick conceded by Cam Maplebeck on the lively Chris Frost, reached Karl Fitzpatrick at the far post but he could not find the target. Moments later a slip by Dec Precious gave Frost a half-chance to put his side in front but his shot flew wide.

Sam Huteson and Liam Murrey linked well for Roos’ first real attack of the game that yielded a corner, but on eight minutes Easington led. Frost was involved in everything dangerous for the visitors and his perfect ball found Fitzpatrick and his shot found the net via a deflection off Nathan Verity.

Roos then began to get on top from this point and would dominate the rest of the half with the imperious Jack Todd showing his class at centre-half with a number of timely interceptions and Connor McKinley’s pace at left-back snuffing out any threat down his side.

A few tackles, some legal, some not, were flying about from both sides, but it was a competitive derby and both teams wanted to win.

Roos had strong claims for a penalty waved away on 12 minutes as Jack Bristow was taken down in the box before Matty Carrick had a half-chance, but his shot was deflected for a corner. Bristow delivered and Roos captain Dan Smith headed over Joe Taylor’s crossbar.

With 20 minutes gone Murrey was felled 20 yards out and Smith’s crisp strike beat the defensive wall, but Taylor made an excellent save diving to his left.

Five minutes later, Ben Littleproud skipped down the right and his excellent cross was fumbled by Taylor who was able to gather it at the second attempt.

With half-an-hour gone Huteson had an excellent chance to level things but an excellent block from Danny Blount stopped him in his tracks. Six minutes later, Anthony Barnett, arguably Easington’s best player on the night, was cautioned and on 39 minutes, Ash McKinley was denied by Taylor twice in the space of a few minutes.

Lucas Sneddon then threaded a wonderful through ball to put Murrey in one-on-one with Taylor, but the imposing goalkeeper made another telling save and on the stroke of half-time, Taylor made another important save to thwart the industrious Maplebeck after a surging run had taken him into the Easington penalty area.

Patience was the key word used in Les Sennett’s halftime talk and as Roos were doing little wrong, further chances were sure to come.

Luke Jeffrey took down Huteson as the winger went around him early in the second half, before Karl Fitzpatrick was cautioned for a foul on Littleproud on 49 minutes.

Moments later it was 1-1. An error in midfield from Steve Jamieson was punished as the ball arrived at the feet of Murrey and the youngster calmly rounded Taylor and rolled the ball into the empty net.

Roos were running hot and on 53 minutes they took the lead. Sneddon found himself in space inside the Easington six-yard box and although his first shot was saved, the ball somehow squirmed out of Taylor’s grasp and Sneddon didn’t need a second invitation as he put the Roosters ahead.

On the hour, Huteson strolled past Adam Jamieson and beat three men on a mesmerising run that led to another very good save from Taylor, who was being kept busy, while Danny Collinson at the other end was having a relatively quiet evening.

With the speedy Frost having to leave just after half time Easington rarely threatened the Roos goal and on 65 minutes Huteson teed up Smith just outside the box but his shot was wide of the target.

However, five minutes later, a magnificent ball from Jeffrey put Fitzpatrick away but he failed to control the ball and Todd stepped in to clear the danger.

Murrey had the ball in the net on 71 minutes but the referee had already blown for offside and four minutes later Steve Jamieson was sent free by Karl Fitzpatrick, but he pulled his shot wide of Collinson’s left-hand post, it would be Easington’s last real opportunity.

With the gloom descending Roos grabbed a priceless third goal with just 10 minutes to go. A ball was launched forwards and Bristow was away. Appeals for offside fell on deaf ears and although the youngster looked offside, he played to the whistle and picked his spot in the bottom corner as he fired the ball home past Taylor.

Two minutes later Mountain had a decent chance with a header at the back post from a corner, but his header drifted harmlessly over the bar.

The Eastenders had nothing left and Roos were able to see out the last few minutes without further alarm.

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region