Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page


Roos cruise into cup final


ROOS FOOTBALL Club reached the South Holderness Cup final last Thursday night with a comfortable 4-0 success over Hedon Rangers Reserves at Patrington Playing Field.

The Roosters had taken care of Easington United in the quarter-finals when they were the underdogs, and although Hedon finished one place above Roos in County League Division One this season, Roos were probably the favourites heading into last Thursday’s game and from the moment Liam Murrey put them ahead, the result was never really in doubt as Roos completely outplayed their opponents for the majority of the 90 minutes to reach the final; where they will meet Hedon Rangers Firsts tomorrow night in a repeat of the 2015/16 final that Roos won 6-5 in dramatic fashion.

Roos started impressively last Thursday, and they looked very confident and comfortable in possession from the opening whistle with Hedon struggling to get a foot on the ball.

Just four minutes in Sam Huteson cut inside and let fly with a strike from distance that was inches wide from the goalkeeper’s left-hand post.

Centre-half Jack Todd, who had been so impressive against Easington, sadly limped off with a groin injury sustained in the warm-up with just eight minutes on the clock, and he remains a big doubt for tomorrow night, but Dec Precious was joined at the back by the skipper, Dan Smith in a quick reshuffle.

Moments later Hedon had their first sight of goal but the shot sailed harmlessly over Danny Collinson’s crossbar before Liam Murrey made an excellent run deep inside the Hedon half before teeing up Huteson, who couldn’t convert the chance.

Roos were playing some excellent football and Hedon were struggling to get a foothold in the game. Cam Maplebeck linked up well twice with Huteson to create a couple of decent openings before the classy Ben Littleproud started an excellent move that led to a half-chance for Matty Carrick, but he could not find the target either.

A goal was surely overdue, and it duly arrived on 19 minutes as Huteson delivered a perfect cross and Murrey swivelled to crash the ball home with his left foot for 1-0.

Roos were in complete control at this early stage of the game, but they were struggling to find a second goal as Hedon defended their goal with great determination to stay in touch.

The Hedon goal led something of a charmed life for the remainder of the first half with excellent runs from Jack Bristow, Murrey and Huteson going unrewarded as the finishing touch was all that was missing.

On 40 minutes a crude tackle on Connor McKinley gave Roos another opportunity to launch an attack but it came to nothing.

As with the game against Easington United in the previous round, manager Les Sennett praised his side at the interval for their overall dominance but at 1-0, nothing was won yet and patience was again going to be the key to a victory.

Just four minutes after the break, Roos had some valuable breathing space as they doubled their lead. Maplebeck found himself close to the by-line and his perfectly flighted cross found Bob Eldon-Smith at the back post and the youngster was able to steer the ball home for 2-0.

Ash McKinley was then taken down by a poorly timed challenge on 54 minutes and although Roos failed to capitalise, five minutes later it was 3-0. Connor McKinley’s wonderful through ball down the left sent Huteson racing clear and as the Hedon keeper came out to meet him, the winger slipped the ball under him and it rolled into the net from the edge of the penalty area; 3-0.

Hedon were simply not in the game and further chances for Roos came and went as Huteson and Bristow failed to convert chances created by Eldon-Smith and Littleproud.

On 68 minutes a Hedon player tried his luck with a strike from 25 yards that sailed over the bar and just two minutes later the game was pretty much over as a contest as Roos went 4-0 up. Huteson found Smith on the edge of the box and his powerful strike found the bottom corner.

Credit to Hedon, they never threw in the towel as they had done in a 7-0 home league loss to Roos back in February and they enjoyed a brief spell in the ascendency and looked capable of grabbing at least a consolation goal.

On 75 minutes they were given the perfect chance as they were awarded a penalty. Maplebeck cleared the ball away for a throw-in, and with two players on the ground, Maplebeck stupidly pulled the leg of the attacker as he went to get up. The referee had not seen it but after consulting with one of his assistants, he immediately pointed to the spot.

However, Collinson came to the rescue as he saved the subsequent spot-kick with his feet and with it went any realistic hopes Hedon had of getting back into the game.

This momentary lapse seemed to galvanise Roos as they steadily got themselves back on top as the game entered the last 10 minutes.

Eldon-Smith had a really good chance to make it 5-0 as the Hedon keeper was stranded outside of his penalty area and out of position, but he could not take advantage, before Huteson and Smith linked well only for the former to see his goal-bound shot hit Murrey who was standing on the six-yard line.

On 85 minutes Carrick set up Lucas Sneddon 25 yards out but his shot drifted wide of the right-hand post and three minutes later Murrey’s telling break set Carrick away, but his shot was deflected for a corner.

Tomorrow’s final will see Roos once again in the role of the underdog with Hedon Rangers playing three tiers above them in the Humber Premier League.

With Jack Todd considered doubtful, Connor McKinley and Dec Precious both away on holiday and Ben Littleproud due to have an operation today, the manager will have to make a few changes to his line-up tomorrow evening, but his side will be ready.

The club would like to wish Ben a speedy recovery from his operation today for a long-standing medical issue and hope that he will be back on his feet quickly.

Roos held their presentation night last Friday and the award winners were;

Leading Goalscorer: Liam Murrey

Players’ Player: Liam Murrey

Managers’ Player: Cam Maplebeck

Captain’s Award: Ben Littleproud

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region