Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Champions West Hull stroll to an easy victory


Roos FC 1

West Hull Amateurs 6


ROOS’ penultimate league fixture last Saturday resulted in their heaviest home defeat of the season so far, the side going down 6-1 to Division One champions West Hull Amateurs, after a bitterly disappointing second half display.

The pitch was in excellent condition, thanks mainly to the efforts of Dudley Hulme throughout the season and having already had two high-scoring close games with West Hull earlier this season, Roos really fancied their chances.

Two minutes in Matty Carrick and Liam Murrey linked up with a good onetwo down the right that led to a corner and moments later, Cam Maplebeck tried his luck from distance, but the shot was well wide of the target.

On five minutes a superb ball from Maplebeck released Murrey whose shot from inside the box was well saved by Danny Bull in the West Hull goal.

A minute later, after a long ball over the top, Nathan Nuttall got in behind the home defence and although he was able to get off a decent strike, Danny Collinson got down well to save at his right-hand post.

With 10 minutes on the clock Connor McKinley found Ben Littleproud on the opposite flank and after beating his marker, Littleproud cut inside to shoot and his shot was fumbled by Bull, but Andy Hunter came to the rescue to clear the danger.

Roos were definitely getting on top and a great four-man move led to captain Danny Smith shooting from 25 yards, but his shot whistled over the junction of crossbar and post.

Littleproud then went on a mesmerising run down the right before cutting the ball back for Smith but it was just behind the skipper on the edge of the penalty area and the chance had gone.

Roos were given a huge let-off on 15 minutes as Nuttall slipped clear and squared the ball for Rich Drewery to tap the ball home but somehow, he failed to hit the target and it remained 0-0.

Murrey tested Bull with a rasping drive on 19 minutes, the West Hull keeper needing some attention to his fingers, and three minutes later, Chris Blanchard got in the way of a shot that found his ‘midriff’, but he was still able to clear the ball to safety.

Sam Huteson was causing Rich Gawthorne a few problems down the left and after one heavy challenge, the Roos winger delivered a great cross for Dec Precious, but his goal-bound header struck a defender and it remained all-square.

With 28 minutes gone, the deadlock was finally broken. Huteson’s ‘rabona’ from a corner was inch perfect for the arriving Precious to force home at the back post.

Roos’ lead lasted all of two minutes, Jason Reynolds delivering the cross for Drewery to make no mistake this time with a header from six yards.

The home side looked to regain their lead quickly and a magnificent chipped pass from Murrey found Carrick cutting inside but his shot sailed over the crossbar. Huteson was then clipped by Howard Williams 25 yards out, but Lucas Sneddon was wide with the subsequent free-kick.

On 37 minutes, the visitors went in front after a poorly-directed header from Maplebeck had resulted in a corner. The ball was delivered from the left and after the referee had missed a blatant push in the back on Precious, Williams was on hand to lash home the loose ball for 2-1.

Littleproud was causing mayhem from right-back and a quality piece of skill almost led to an equaliser but after Bull had parried the ball away, Williams was in the right place at the right time to hoof the ball clear.

Four minutes before the break, Huteson delivered two sublime passes in quick succession, the second an astonishing ball with the outside of his foot that curled around the two West Hull centre halves and was begging to be forced home by Carrick, but despite being only six yards out, he missed the ball completely!

Roos ended the half on top but further half chances for Smith and Carrick were not converted.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were pretty evenly contested and at 2-1, the next goal was always going to be hugely important and the game was effectively decided in the next seven minutes that centre-half Precious will want to forget in a hurry.

On 55 minutes his over-ambitious pass to Littleproud from inside his own penalty area was easily intercepted by Nuttall who took full advantage of the gift, firing the ball home past the hapless Collinson for 3-1.

Seven minutes later it was 4-1 as another Precious error was punished, Sean Hardbattle the recipient this time and the hosts began to crumble.

It should have been even worse shortly after the restart as Nuttall was clearly brought down by Littleproud for what was a stonewall penalty but amazingly, the referee saw it differently and he awarded a goal-kick.

West Hull were showing the type of clinical finishing that has taken them to the league title and on 66 minutes it was becoming a bit embarrassing as Roos conceded another poor goal as Drewery bundled the ball home from close range to make it 5-1.
With 20 minutes to go substitute Bob Eldon-Smith had the chance to make it 5-2, but Bull got down well to his right to save well and on 72 minutes, Bull was again alert to thwart Huteson, following a fine through ball from Sneddon.

The game was starting to peter out and Drewery headed wide from six yards out when it looked easier to score than miss, but on 80 minutes it was 6-1 as Hardbattle found the bottom corner with a precise finish. With eight minutes left it should have been 6-2 as Sneddon served up a late contender for miss of the season. Huteson showed great skill and balance to reach the byline before squaring the ball to Sneddon for a tap-in but he somehow managed to hit the post from less than two feet!

On 88 minutes Roos came close to grabbing a consolation goal as another pin-point ‘rabona’ cross from Huteson found the head of Eldon-Smith, but his header was wide of the mark and the game finished 6-1.

Roos sign off for the season this coming Saturday with a home game against Hodgson AFC before the side rebuilds for the 2019/20 campaign. Roos are looking for new players for next season so if you are interested, please contact the manager on 07500 556171.

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region