Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Juniors get back to business



AFTER A WET and inconsistent October, a new month couldn’t come quick enough for the U8s. Having two games cancelled due to the weather last month, we were keen to get back down to business.

However, after a lengthy downpour on Saturday, it was down to an 8am pitch inspection at Welwick Road, which was to see the hosts entertain a travelling St Andrews side scheduled for a 10.30am kick off.

After a quick discussion with our in-house match official, and with the morning’s forecast looking to be in our favour, the game was given the green light. So, in the early morning sunrise, coaches Spruce and Turnbull whipped round the soggy Holderness turf with the pitch marker. Looking on at their piece of artwork, it turned out it could quite well have been compared to that of a toddlers’ sketch book. Nevertheless, with the goals up, and (straightish) lines marked, it was back home for a quick brew before the 10am meet.

Today’s match day squad started with Turnbull’s familiar position between the posts donning the number 1 jersey, wearing the armband with pride was McBride, he was to anchor the defence with partner Moverley, and with a fantastic display at training this week, Patrick got the nod to partner the ever-keen Spruce in the midfield. Extra ammunition came from the bench in Glass and McCloud.

Spruce senior was fresh from his Saturday refereeing exploits and was our man in the middle. With hot beverages keeping spectators warm and hydrated, a good warm up and the morning handshake complete, we were fit and ready for action.

After starting with our classic 1-2-2 formation, it was from the off we noticed the physical dominance of the opposition. They looked strong, quick and with some good play between the Saints’ number 7 and 10 the boys in red and black soon found themselves 1-0 down.

But, with a great spirited fightback, some fantastic midfield link-up play between Patrick and Spruce, it wasn’t long before Spruce hit the back of the net for the equaliser. Some top defending from Moverley and with captain McBride looking solid at the back we went in at the break all square. The half-time team talk was simple, keep working hard and the rewards will come.

Into the second half, the red and black outfit was kept the same. We got on the front foot straight from the off, again some great link up play between the two in the middle was beginning to cause problems for the blue and whites. Turnbull’s quick kicking game over the top was proving a threat, and it wasn’t long before the second half deadlock was broken. Turnbull over the top to Spruce, a great pass put through to Patrick with a great finish. His first goal for the club, hopefully the first of many.

The Patrington outfit were clearly in the mood for this one, and although some good play from the opposition was causing the occasional threat, we stood strong and battled well all over the park. The hard work paid off again as two soon became three, Spruce again turning goalscorer to add to his tally. Unfortunately, we fell slightly short towards the end and a couple of quickfire goals from St Andrews got them back in it at 3-3, which was probably a fair result.

Into game two, a well-deserved rest for Tyler Moverley and James Patrick saw the introduction of the energetic Harvey Glass and Zack ‘Cloudy’ McCloud. Glass went into midfield and with his style of play, the coaches were hoping it would bring a bit of pace and provide some width.

Zack Mc slotted into defence partnering Mason, a true battler wherever he plays, a constant thorn in any opposing team’s side. Glass was to skipper this one, and with a quick game of rock, paper scissors, Patrington got the kick-off.

Historically, we don’t score many goals but on the same note, generally don’t seem to concede too many either. So, this one we were in for a bit of a thriller. A good start made from both teams, St Andrews looking for width early doors, and had some success, spraying the ball wide, then placing in some good crosses looking to threaten Turnbull’s goal.

A few early chances and the Patrington five were under some pressure. St Andrews took the lead through a fantastic finish, but soon the in-form goal machine Tommy Spruce was on hand again to pull Patrington level. Again, through determination and hard work we pulled it back through another Spruce strike. Patrington’s quick play of the ball from throw-ins and goalkeeper kicks were catching the St Andrews side out, and we soon capitalised on this to take the lead.

The back two were fantastic, some last ditch defending from McCloud, and some solid forward play from Mason, Patrington were beginning to turn defensive situations into attacking play. Then following some good build up play, the St Andrews defence failed to see through Glass’ marauding run and a super finish from him. Another superb strike from Spruce followed and then a goalkeeper error gave Patrington a freekick on the edge of the box.

Tommy Spruce scored, with a fine placement into the bottom corner. Tommy came off for a well-earned rest, (before the family home had to be re-mortgaged), and on came James Patrick for a final 10 minutes. A goal kick from Turnbull went straight to the number 7 of St Andrews who found himself through on goal. Turnbull made a save to redeem himself, but the ball ended in the back of the Patrington net! Yells from the Patrington stopper and a twitching coach Spruce, the referee blew and a foul on the Patrington keeper in the build-up to the goal was given. The free kick taken, and whilst in flight, thankfully the full-time whistle was blown, as coach Turnbull’s pen was running out of ink.

Credit to both teams, parents, players and coaches were fantastic and was hopefully enjoyed by all.

POTM: Tommy Spruce

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region