Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page


Graham heads Easington through


AN ANDY Graham header six minutes from time proved enough to settle a hugely entertaining East Riding Senior Country Cup tie at Low Farm as The Eastenders edged past Holderness rivals Roos by the odd goal in seven.

Both teams are to be commended for playing some decent football and serving up a real spectacle on a pitch that was passed fit to play in the morning but then proceeded to cut up badly in parts, thanks to some heavy persistent rain before and during the game.

There were several cases of players lining up against their former team-mates, with perhaps the most eyecatching being the sight of former Roosters talisman Sam Huteson among the home subs. This and the fact that Holderness derbies are now something of a rarity attracted a decent crowd despite the inclement weather.

It was the visiting contingent who had first cause to cheer as Roos belied their lower league status to enjoy the better of things over the opening quarter. They deservedly led when former Easington man Stu Campbell rose unopposed to head home Jack Bristow’s corner on 18 minutes.

The goal brought the game to life. The industrious Paul Morrill had a shot spilled by Roos keeper Max WatlingPrecious with nobody on hand to pick up the pieces. Soon afterwards, Liam Murrey should really have doubled the visitors’ lead when played through on goal. His miss would prove costly.

Late in the half, Easington turned the game on its head with two goals in six minutes. On 35 minutes, Roos failed to clear a corner and from Morrill’s return, Adam Jamieson tied things up. Four minutes before half-time, Chris Frost crossed for Owen Mountain to make it 2-1.

Roos should have levelled matters immediately but Murrey was thwarted by Steve Janney.

Easington almost gained the perfect start to the second half when Mountain and Jamieson combined superbly on the edge of the box, but the former’s shot was narrowly off target.

Moments later Morrill fired wide before Jamieson just failed to turn home another Frost cross. A third goal for Easington looked likely. Instead, on 54 minutes Roos equalised.

There was an air of good fortune about the goal, with Bob Eldon-Smith’s flick-come-volley somehow looping over Janney and in. Game back on.

A Dan Warcup foul on Eldon-Smith resulted in a yellow card for the Easington left back and prompted a coming together of several players for a heated debate. It was a rare example of ‘over-heating’ in a game that was played in good spirit and well refereed by Steve Spruce.

If there had been a touch of fluke about the Roos equaliser, the goal that restored the hosts’ lead on 73 minutes was equally fortuitous; Frost linking well with Huteson before sending a right-wing cross arrowing over everybody and into the far top corner.

Back came the visitors. With eight minutes remaining, Murrey seized on a Graham slip down the right to race through and again tie things up. Extra-time beckoned.

But with most spectators beginning to contemplate another half-hour’s entertainment, Easington won it. Huteson’s corner eluded Watling-Precious and up popped Graham to head home from close range and send the locals into round three.

Easington: Steve Janney, Craig Smalley, Dan Warcup, Kris Fitzpatrick, Danny Blount, Andy Graham, Owen Mountain, Adam Jamieson (Sam Huteson, 66), Paul Morrill, Chris Frost, Anthony Barnett (Subs not used: Craig Havercroft, Steve Jamieson, Paul Wilkinson)

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region