Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page


Eager Easington in a hurry


AFTER TWO weeks’ cup action, Easington United returned to Humber Premier League football in impressive style courtesy of a 4-2 win at Norwood Park.

The Eastenders raced into a 4-0 half-time lead after what assistant-boss Craig Foster termed “our best fortyfive minutes of the season”. The locals then withstood a spirited Beverley response to extend their current unbeaten run to twelve matches.

Suffice to say, United fielded another changed squad from that which had progressed in the County Cup the previous week. Steve Janney (work), Owen Mountain (away) and Craig Smalley (injury) were all absent. In their place, new signing James Hole donned the goalkeeping gloves and there were returns for Kris Fitzpatrick and Paul Morrill, both having recovered from recent injuries. Meanwhile, among the subs was Luke Taylor, back at Low Farm for a second spell and another player now clear of a recent niggle.

The late withdrawal of Darrel Thompson through illness prompted a start for John Pontone and ‘the Guardsman’ made the most of his opportunity, latching on to a Chris Frost pass to put Easington ahead inside two minutes.

Beverley’s response was almost immediate, but they failed to punish the visitors for some lax play around their own penalty area. Instead, they fell further behind on eight minutes; Sam McLaughlin powering home a header from Frost’s corner.

Easington’s start was matching the brightness of a breezy afternoon. On 10 minutes, Andy Graham passed up a chance from another Frost set-piece and after Olly Whitfield had failed to make the most of a rare Beverley foray, Easington threatened again through Sam Huteson who took another Frost pass before cutting inside and shooting over. Dan Warcup then couldn’t quite manage to get over a Craig Havercroft cross before McLaughlin stepped up again to add a third just past the half-hour, courtesy of a neat turn and shot low into the corner following a neat move down the right.

That came on 34 minutes and three minutes later it was 0-4; Frost again playing a part by feeding Huteson who finished well. The same player could have bagged a second shortly afterwards but having created the space with some typical trickery, he fired over.

At the other end Hole was enjoying a quiet debut but the student was called into action on the stroke of halftime, denying the wily Rob Northen with his legs.

With wind advantage second half, The Beavers were quickly on the front foot and just three minutes in, the unmarked Northen converted an Olly Baldwin cross to give them hope. Moments later Frost thought he’d again taken the game away from Town but, to some surprise, was deemed to be offside. Instead it was Town who scored again, courtesy of a wonderful thirty-yard strike from Baldwin.

That came on 69 minutes and prompted a slight wobble on the part of the locals. Northen headed a Phil Gardiner cross against the bar and then saw Hole turn away another effort. However, after Hole saved another Baldwin effort with ten to go, the locals saw things out and Blount will have been delighted to give Taylor a cameo near the end, in preparation for the cranking up of competition ahead of what is already looking a hectic run-in.

Easington: James Hole, Craig Havercroft, Anthony Barnett, Kris Fitzpatrick (Luke Taylor, 85), Luke Jeffery, Andy Graham, Sam McLaughlin (Paul Morrill, 65), Sam Huteson, John Pontone (Paul Wilkinson, 87), Dan Warcup, Chris Frost (sub not used: Daniel Blount)

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region