Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

No excuses as Eastenders make

early exit in South Holderness Cup


Roos FC 3

Easington United 1


THE EASTENDERS crashed out of the South Holderness Cup at the first hurdle when losing 3-1 to ER County League Division One side Roos, despite taking an early lead.

Second half goals from Liam Murrey, Lucas Sneddon and Jack Bristow completed a deserved win for The Roosters who will now meet Hedon Rangers Reserves in the semi-finals.

There were no excuses offered afterwards by manager Adam Jamieson who termed it a “shocking performance” from his own side while praising opponents who “stood strong from start to finish”.

Having named a strong squad, from which Smalley, Snaith and Warcup were the only absentees, Jamieson then lost Wilbraham at the eleventh hour and saw Frost’s involvement limited to just over half the game. However, it was still a squad that should have been capable of progressing. And for the first twenty minutes or so it looked like doing so.

Prior to kick-off, both teams assembled in the centre circle for a minute’s silence, held in memory of Frank Windas, who had sadly passed away on April 28, it was as expected, impeccably observed by both teams and the many supporters present.

On a wonderful playing surface, the Eastenders started strongly. They took the lead just 10 minutes in when Kris Fitzpatrick met Frost’s left-wing cross with a volley that seemed to deflect in off Vez Verity. Many in the decentsized crowd may well have predicted the goal as the first of many.

However, Roos began to find their feet and Dan Smith tested Joe Taylor’s agility with a well-struck free-kick. As the hosts grew in confidence, Taylor then denied Murrey with a brave block before the Roos man saw another effort deflected wide.

Strong words at the interval failed to have their effect on Easington and within eight minutes of the restart it was 2-1 to Roos. Both goals left the visitors’ management fuming.

On 50 minutes, Steve Jamieson’s under-hit backpass left Taylor exposed and Murrey capitalised to level matters.

Three minutes later it was 2-1; Sneddon benefitting from a second bite at the cherry after Taylor had again produced an excellent initial save; Easington’s defenders appearing as statues while Sneddon picked his spot.

In truth the Eastenders never really looked like getting back into things from that moment on. Steve Jamieson fired wide from one of few neatly created openings, before an unmarked Owen Mountain headed over at the far post from another.

The game was settled ten minutes from time when a suspiciously offside-looking Bristow raced clear to score the decisive third goal.

The locals huffed and puffed to the close without really ever testing Collinson in goal and referee Ron McNaughton’s final whistle brought a suitably downbeat end to a disappointing campaign.

Easington: Joe Taylor (GK), Luke Jeffery, Anthony Barnett, Kris Fitzpatrick, Danny Blount, Steve Jamieson, Chris Frost, Owen Mountain, Nathan Verity, Adam Jamieson, Karl Fitzpatrick (Rolling subs: Andy Graham, Brad Bowden, Brett Fisk)

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region