Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Hutch heads back to USA on a high


Hornsea Town  2

Easington United  3


FOUR days prior to the Hedon Rangers game, The Eastenders claimed their first win of pre-season thanks to a dramatic late goal away at Hornsea Town.

In what has become something of an annual pre-season fixture between the two teams, Mark Hutchinson bagged a second half brace to clinch a 3-2 win.

It was the perfect way for the Milwaukee-bound player to sign off before starting another season in the USA. His goals on 70 and 90 minutes, allied to Chris Frost’s exquisite 42nd minute effort, helped the locals to their first win at the Hollis Rec since 2015.

On a bright but breezy evening, manager Danny Blount included himself in the starting line-up for the first time this summer. He partnered Steve Jamieson at centrehalf, with brother Adam pushed into midfield. Anthony Barnett and Craig Smalley took the full-back berths, with Jamieson joined in midfield by Hutchinson and Cam Hay, the latter becoming the latest player from the Reserves squad to get a taste of the action.

The three-pronged attack centred around Ben Wilbraham for the first time this season, with Frost on the left and Jamie Houlton down the right providing the width.

Steve Janney’s withdrawal due to sickness allowed Joe Taylor to play his second successive match in goal, while Ash Snaith’s continued illness and the absence of several others opened up first appearances off the bench for Brett Fisk and James Blount. Dan Warcup and Paul Wilkinson returned to complete a four-man bench.

Hornsea started strongly. On seven minutes Taylor produced a fine double stop, following a well-worked corner, but he couldn’t prevent Alex Sherwood slotting home the game’s opening goal at the second attempt four minutes later.

Town continued to look menacing but, gradually, The Eastenders grew into the game. On 28 minutes Hutchinson’s flick found Frost in space but his side-footed finish drifted well wide. Two minutes later a trademark Wilbraham throwin led to keeper Ashton having to acrobatically turn the ball away for a corner and on 36 minutes Warcup volleyed just wide.

Three minutes before half-time Easington gained their reward; Frost getting the wrong side of the last man before beating Ashton with the most precise of lobs. It might have got even better moments later, but Wilbraham headed wide, with Blount perhaps the better option.

The second half saw Easington in the ascendancy, working hard to close down their opponents. Never more so than when Wilkinson forced the keeper into an error but couldn’t quite fully capitalise. On 58 minutes a delightful Fisk free-kick should have yielded better reward as Easington continued to probe. Their reward came on 70 minutes when Hutchinson rose to meet Warcup’s precise cross and head powerfully home.

Moments later, Joe Taylor produced an excellent reflex save to preserve the lead before Hutchinson fired wide from Wilbraham’s flick.

Hornsea appeared to have salvaged a draw just three minutes from time when big Trevor Brooks – pushed up front in the second half – met a freekick to head home.

Undeterred the locals sped back upfield and from Frost’s clipped cross, Adam Jamieson teed-up Hutchinson to steer home a dramatic late winner.

Easington: Joe Taylor, Craig Smalley, Anthony Barnett, Cam Hay, Danny Blount, Steve Jamieson, Jamie Houlton, Adam Jamieson, Ben Wilbraham, Mark Hutchinson, Chris Frost (Rolling subs: James Blount, Brett Fisk, Dan Warcup, Paul Wilkinson)

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region