Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Blount frustrated as Easington let it slip


DANNY BLOUNT cut a frustrated figure having seen his Easington United team surrender a two-goal lead against a Reckitts Reserves side reduced to ten men after just five minutes at Hull University last Saturday.

In a meeting of fifth versus sixth in Humber Premier League Division One, the hosts saw Chris Hunt sent off following a poor challenge on Steve Jamieson. Nonetheless, they somehow managed to rally from 1-3 down with seven minutes left. Indeed, many observers felt that had the game gone on just a couple of minutes longer, Reckitts may well have snatched it.

It wasn’t only the dropped points that had Blount seething at the end. He said: “They’ve played with ten men from early on, yet they’ve virtually controlled the game. We were really poor. Maybe it’s me being too harsh but what I saw out there today simply isn’t good enough.”

The aforementioned Jamieson was one of two surprise late inclusions in the locals’ squad. After declaring himself fit following a recent ankle problem, he earned a recall at the heart of the back four following the late withdrawal of Darrel Thompson due to work commitments. Elsewhere there was a place on the bench for Paul Morrill, also recently recovered from injury. Despite the absence of Frost, Mountain and Warcup, the new arrivals allowed Blount to list a 16-man squad.

Reckitts came into things on the back of a fine start following promotion as ER County League champions. However, they were rocked after just five minutes when Hunt’s reckless challenge earned him a straight red card.

Shortly afterwards Adam Jamieson compounded the hosts’ misery with a stunning strike to give Easington the lead.

It didn’t last long; the prolific James Screeton tying things up for Reckitts. By halftime Easington had restored their advantage. Jamieson turned provider this time, his freekick dropping kindly for Andy Graham to lash home emphatically for 1-2. It could have been more, but Anthony Barnett’s effort bounced back off the bar with home keeper Jamie Nelson stranded.

Ben Wilbraham was denied by Nelson early in the second half after Luke Jeffery had sent him clear and, despite flattering to deceive, at that stage the visitors appeared set for the win; even more so when Stef Hewitt made it 1-3 with twenty minutes to go. Craig Havercroft’s cross was retrieved by Jamieson and from his pull-back, Hewitt converted with aplomb.

Unfortunately, it was the home side who responded better to this latest strike and they finished the game on the front foot.

Steve Janney kept them out with some excellent goalkeeping but even he was powerless to prevent Mark Smith scoring his first goal following his transfer between the two clubs.

That came on 83 minutes and five minutes later the hosts levelled through Jason Watson. When the final whistle blew it was the visitors who were the more relieved of the two teams.

Easington: Steve Janney, Jamie Houlton (Paul Morrill, 62), Luke Jeffery, Kris Fitzpatrick, Steve Jamieson, Andy Graham, Stefan Hewitt (James Blount, 75), Adam Jamieson, Ben Wilbraham (Paul Wilkinson, 70), Craig Havercroft, Anthony Barnett (subs not used: Danny Blount, Craig Smalley) t

The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region