Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region
Advertise with the Holderness Gazette
Back to Home Page

Withernsea produce the

fireworks and run riot

    Withernsea RUFC 94
Pocklington Thirds 24
    AFTER A close encounter at Pocklington thirds, which Withernsea won by 10 points, the Seasiders were expecting another hard game in this reverse fixture.
Pocklington seconds were without a game and a few of them had bolstered the ranks of their third team, but sadly for them they had a glut of forwards, some of whom were filling in positions in the back line; this is not a recipe for success against Withernsea’s free-flowing backs.
Withernsea started the game strongly and Pocklington kept kicking possession to the home team. Alex Robinson ran the ball back from full-back and fed Mike Penny on the wing. Penny was stopped just short and Robbo popped the loose ball for Dan Wardman to finish with a try.
Soon after, Rob Hird found space in midfield from good recycling by the forwards and used his side-step and strength to score Withernsea’s second try. The floodgates were already open, and Penny made the most of a turnover by the forwards to score from 60 metres out. Withernsea continued to run riot with Alex Kirk smashing his way to the line. Brave defence stopped Alex just short, but he kept his cool to pop the ball to Matty Tomes who had supported well and was rewarded with a try.
Pocklington had a brief respite from the onslaught as they pulled a try back from their big forwards, but Withernsea were soon back on the attack. Carl Gibson was next to benefit from Pocklington’s lack of pace out wide, as Steve Gale cleverly put him away for Withernsea’s fifth try.
Try number six came from Alex Robinson after another flowing back move. Kurt Westoby, strangely occupying the wing, was next on the scoresheet. Penny made ground again and passed to Rob Hird, whose inside pass deftly split the away team’s defence. Steve Gale then drew the last defender and selflessly put Kurt away for try number seven.
The first half finished with Dan Wardman opportunistically stealing the ball from the back of the Pock scrum and scoring from distance to leave the half-time score a healthy-looking 54-7 in favour of the rampant Seasiders.
The second half started with Pocklington showing more determination, with their big forwards now carrying well and deservedly scoring a pushover try from five metres. As Pock put on more pressure, Mike Penny adventurously started a move on his own line.
A big pass to Kurt Westoby was followed by the best pass of the day, where Kurt angled infield to draw the defender and gave a gentle pass to Dan Wardman, who beat three defenders from just outside his own 22.
Pocklington clawed another try back, before Withernsea ran in another three tries to stamp their authority on proceedings. Firstly, Connor broke from midfield with a good side-step, then Penny went the full length of the pitch, before he turned provider for Dan to score his fourth try.
Pocklington, however, still posed a threat and scored their fourth try to gain the bonus point, but Withernsea were not done yet and 100 points was getting ever nearer.
Steve Gale, who had created space for other players all afternoon, now finished with a try of his own with a nice cut inside, and the last try went to Steve Sutherland, who, as ever, supported a many-phase move and deservedly got on the score sheet.
This was an excellent display of running rugby and it certainly made it a long afternoon for the visitors, who learned the value of the old adage “there’s no substitute for pace”. Withernsea just had too much pace, for which Pocklington’s players simply had no answer as the score closed on 94-24. Next week Withernsea are at home to Ionians thirds, which will be a different game altogether.
The Holderness Gazette - Serving News to the Holderness Region